Launch of ‘TERN’

Return of Tern
Following a fairly major renovation carried out in 2016 which is when the current owners John & Gail Hodson obtained her, ‘Tern’ is almost ready for her re-launch in 2024. Purchased from the estate of her previous owner, Mike Griffiths, was renamed by him to ‘Arthur Alexander’, his father’s name.

‘Tern’ is the original name given to this 34ft Morecambe Bay Prawner-'Nobby', when she was launched in 1894, having been built during 1893, by Gibsons of Fleetwood to a specification by their then-in-house designer William Stoba and was first registered in Preston. 

‘Tern’ has had an incredible history including a spell as a requisitioned Fire Watch vessel on the River Mersey during WW2 and surviving being sunk in the sands of Skippool Creek on the River Wyre where she was located and raised by ‘Stan the Man’ Hurley and subsequently renovated by Mike Griffiths in the 1980s. As the ‘Arthur Alexander’ she went on to take part and win the famous ‘Nobby Race in 1988’ which took part on the River Mersey. Organised by the Nobby Owners Association and up until recently is an event that the NOA Classic Boat Association hopes to revive in the not-too-distant future. 

The planned 2024 re-launch will be especially fitting as it would be ‘Tern’s’ 130th Anniversary and marks yet another chapter in this remarkable vessel’s already colourful history. This will be followed by a series of videos published through the NOA Classic Boat Association showing the various stages of her latest re-fit and will hopefully encourage more like-minded people to commit to the preservation and active sailing of these truly beautiful craft. The launch will take place on the lower tidal section of the River Douglas at ‘The Old Boatyard’ which was established in 1726 – dates and times to be announced. Watch this space! 

John Hodson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *